<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 20, 2004

I've been seeing a native Oregonian, which means I've reverted back to saying Or-gon (the way we pronounce it back home) as opposed to Or-y-gun (the way they pronounce it here) just to annoy (see first blog entry for more on the Or-gon/Or-y-gun distinction). Anyhow. I saw this political commercial on a ballot initiative (I believe it was proposition 36), the gist of which was that out of staters put this thing on the ballot and were pouring money into boonswaggling the good people of Orygun.

Now, I don't know anything about the initiative, but interestingly the evil out-of-towner in the commercial kept saying Or-y-gon. So now I can feel a delicious thrill of evil every time I say Or-gon like the evil out-of-towner I am.
Comments:
It's an insurance initiative.

As a midwest transplant to Oregon myself, I know EXACTLY what you mean! We have a part of town back in Ohio called the Or-y-gone District. I've been here eight years...and just now have gotten used to saying Or-uh-gun instead of Or-y-gone.

Were you living here when the Mayor Katz commercials used to be on? "Or-y-gone? Where have we gone? It's OR-UH-GUN!" LOL.

Anyway, enjoyed your blog. Keep up the good work!
 
I'm a Pennsylvania boy. Where I grew up, we pronounced it "where the fuck is THAT?"

I didn't even know where Or-uh-gun was until I was in my late 20's.

I learned to pronounce Willamette when I realized it rhymes with Goddammit. And speaking of the Willamette... CNN was broadcasting live from the east esplanade last night as part of their Newsnight coast to coast series. Damn does this city look good - which, of course, has absolutely NOTHING to do with your post. Oops!

- Rob
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?