<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, October 18, 2004

Alright-I've mostly avoided political posts because for the most part political blogs bore the tits off me, but today is different. I am full of irritation over the whole ballot measure 36 deal, and need to give a shout out to my homies on the religious right. (For those of you playing outside of Oregon, measure 36 restricts marriage to unions formed by one man and one woman.)

First, for anyone who hasn't cracked open their voter guide, the first three "arguments in favor" are really fucking hillarious. Recommended reading for any and all who need a smile.

Ok, let's get down to it. Despite all the prettified words in the voters pamphlet, I think we all know what this ballot measure comes down to: religion. I even saw a guy on the tv news saying that other sins are against the law, and he just doesn't see how homosexuality is any different.

News Flash!: Um. We don't punish sins. Nowhere in any bible I've ever seen (and, yes, I've seen my fair share) does it say "Thou shalt not drink and drive your camel, for this is an abomination in the Lord's eyes" yet drinking and driving is against the law. Additionally, the state of Oregon does not criminalize wearing the clothing of the opposite sex (Deuteronomy 22:5), clipping your hair at the temples (Leviticus 19:27), or wearing mixed fiber clothing (Deuteronomy 22:11).

Just as a lengthy aside (and hell, this post is long enough-one aside isn't going to break the bank), I'd like to point out that the bible does not treat fetuses (feti?) as human beings. I'd like to direct your attention to Exodus, Chapter 21, which authorizes the death penalty for murder. Okay so far? Alright. Now scroll down to verses 22-25. Note that when violence causes a pregnant woman to miscarry, the punishment is not death. Why? Because it is not murder to kill a fetus. That's right, folks. Pack up your signs and go home. This isn't just me telling ya this-the lord has spoken.

Anyhow, I could continue ranting on this subject, but I think I've gone on long enough. I'm just a-warning y'all, I know the bible far too well to lose at the god game. Be careful out there.
Comments:
Preach it, brother man! I agree 100%, and will be joining you in voting NO on Measure 36. I wrote a bit about it on my blog, the Zen Pretzel Trick (I also wrote why you should vote NO on Measure 33). Drop by sometime....
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?