<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, October 14, 2005

I think networking made me sick yesterday. I woke up this morning with a head full of snot, hacking and coughing my way around the house. I guess I won't be calling any hot job prospects today-"Cough, cough. Ahem. Do you hab sub bwork for me? Ibe berry profedional." I think if I can ever do a seminar, it will be "Germs! The dangers of Networking." I'll bet it was the damn sicko law students. They're always sick with something.

The networking thing last night was put on by the Oregon Women Lawyers. It actually wasn't too terribly bad. I always feel like I smell when I'm at these things, so then I start nervously sweating (at which point I'm aware that I probably do smell bad, not to mention look sweaty), so 'networking' isn't exactly my strongest suit. I think it has something to do with lingering high school trauma-only here, 'fitting in' actually means something. I also realized that I actually have some sort of complex about lawyers and am afraid that I come off lower class, and that they'll look down on me because I'm poor. This is kinda funny, because most of the lawyers I know are jobless and poor.

Anyhow, I was surprised to realize how much 'networking' I do on a daily basis. The speakers pointed out that networking isn't about meeting a whole bunch of people you don't know, but is more about keeping your ear to the ground and exchanging information with people you do know who need it. Of course, the more people you meet and talk to the more information you pick up and the more exchanging you do.

I also had a weird moment when I realized the law students there were looking at me like I was a real lawyer or something. I mean, I know I am a real lawyer and such, but well, I guess I wasn't real sure what they were looking to get out of it. Great, now that's a fabulous attitude-this whole thing is going to be a huge uphill battle.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?