<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, February 03, 2006

We watched the uncut version of Clerks last night (it just came out on DVD for the 10th anniversery edition). I tried to say something snappy and poignant here to wrap up just what this movie means to me, but words fail me (Jebus, how sappy). Between the ages of 16 and 20, I saw this movie on average at least once a month, so it has probably been more influential in my life than the Bible, the Origin of Species or Disneyland. I remember reading somewhere someone referring to working in a video store as the ur slacker job. I'd have to take partial issue with that-clerking anywhere is the ur slacker job, and whenever I clerk, I feel like a gen X stereotype (or archetype, if you prefer-makeing Clerks the Rosetta stone of the slacker generation).

So, I was pretty excited about the uncut version. I could see why they made most of the cuts-while the newly included material is funny, and in some instances makes the dialogue more clear, it slows the pace of the film way down. It has a completely different ending (I'm not going to do a spoiler), one that make more sense and is overall better, but one that I found jarring on an emotional level (I've known these charaters for so long that I'm having difficulties accepting change). I think they should have gone with the original ending-I'm not sure why they didn't.

Note to R: I'm going to be presumptious because it is my blog and I'll do what I want to. I know you're visiting, so I'm going drop a note to you here. Remember when we watched Clerks? It was your first time and boy it is so much fun to share a movie you love with a friend who loves it as much as you do. Strange days, eh?
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?